Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Is there Brain Gain in Erie

I'd like to know why people are in Erie. Have you always lived in Erie, moved away and returned, or relocated to Erie. Each person has his or her own story of why (s)he's in Erie. Please take a few minutes to complete this survey to let me know about you.

I left Erie in 1985 to go away to college. I was all pumped for big-city life and to get out of this town. I moved to Arlington, VA (outside Washington DC). I loved DC. There are museums and nightlife and lots of excitement. I got to see President Ronald Reagan speak. I attended marches. I sat out on the "mall" watching the White House buzz with activity during some particularly turbulent times. I also managed to go to classes, edit the college paper, and graduate on time.

It wasn't until I joined "the real world" that I realized I didn't like living outside Washington DC. The traffic is horrendous! I worked 10 miles away from my apartment, but it took 45-60 minutes to get there. I was always broke because it cost so much to rent an apartment, buy food and gas, let alone find any money to visit my friends. Then the final straw broke (actually it was 3 straws that broke at one time).

I was working as the associate manager for a retail store and was informed I would have to open on Black Friday (the Thursday after Thanksgiving) and close on Christmas Eve. Now, we Guelchers get together each Thanksgiving for an all-out celebration. Everyone is home if at all possible. I wasn't going to be able to make either holiday and that broke my heart. Then, to top it all off, my grandmother had a heart attack.

I decided then and there that my family is much more important than any job, big city, or pretty much anything else for that matter. I quit, moved back to Erie without a job lined up and haven't looked back. Sure it was a bit of a struggle to find that first job. But, now I'm happy, surrounded by family and friends and couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

As an aside...I do like to travel a lot so I get my fill of what everywhere else can offer while enjoying the home I have come to love.

No comments: