Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Downtown Improvement

A couple of weeks ago I attended the Gallery Night at nine area galleries. It was a coordinated effort among the participants and turned into a fabulous evening.

There were several displays that I would not have gotten around to seeing had it not been for the special event. One that impressed me immensely was the show at the Erie Art Museum - Ray Howlett's Light and Space Sculptures. I was awed by the knowledge to create such spectacular objects. One of the other openings was at a gallery I didn't even know existed: Tarsus Gallery at 1510 West 12th Street.

Another participant was Urraro Gallery. While at that gallery, I learned "Too Many Variables" by Deborah Sementelli was to be the final show at their current location. What I was excited to discover was that the Urraros had purchased a building on State Street and were in the process of remodeling it for a new gallery plus studio space. The building they purchased is in between Cellblock and Twelve-o-One.

Speaking of Twelve-o-One: I visited the newest downtown restaurant two weekends ago. My review will be posted soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I dined at Twelve O'One last weekend and were very impressed with both the food and the service. The prices, while steeper than the Erie average, are reasonable given the excellent quality and quantity of food. I was particularly pleased with the chef's gracious accomodation of a rather limiting food allergy I have.

The service was without question the best I have experienced in Erie. I would recommend this restaurant without hesitation.

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen
You wouldn't happen to be speaking of the server Alison. Short girl with brown hair?

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I can't remember our server's name from that visit. I do know that in the times we have dined there since, the service has been consistently excellent -- hostess, servers, bartenders, and manager.

Anonymous said...

Was there Friday night. Four tables were taken. Excellent service and decent wine selection. Not sure if the service would suffer if the restaurant was busy. Food was excellent, althought choices are a bit limited. We'll go back again.

Off the subject - Why is there no decent place to dine on Monday nights? I have some clients coming in and I can't find a decent restaurant that's open. Alto Cucina, Bertrans, Matthews are all closed!